Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's All "Relative"...

Yesterday I had the chance to take part in a wonderful opportunity: a family reunion. You are probably laughing to yourself right now because society has turned the idea of families and family reunions upside down. But, let me tell you...honestly, it was wonderful. We had our reunion at a small lake of one of our relatives...and it was an absolute blast! It is just amazing to see the constant growth and branching out of our family. All in all, we had 43 attendees this year...and that is something to praise! The blessing of family and extended family is so amazing...and it is even more amazing that we are able to continue this in a society in which this kind of family closeness seems so rare. It's just great to see the kids growing up and to watch the torch of faith be passed down from generation to generation...it makes me wonder how much we could change the world if every family passed the torch to the next generation to the next, and the next. We would have such a large faith community--a faith family--that could do wonders in this world!

The best part of my day?...(aside from my skin getting its first look at the sun all summer)...was that I got to teach a fellow cousin of mine how to ride a jet ski. It was her first time on one, let alone driving. I drove first taking it easy since it was her first time. It was so fun to her her laughing behind me as we would bounce over the waves. Then it was her turn, and boy was that fun! She had quite the time figuring out the steering and keeping a constant speed, but that's what made it so fun...sometimes it takes the smallest things to give you uncontrollable giggles...and that's exactly what we had. We got to giggling so hard that she couldn't even drive. I just laid there on her back laughing harder than I have in a long time. By the time we brought the jet ski back we were grinning from ear to ear, despite the fact that our cheeks hurt so bad from smiling. It was a great time...and a much appreciated laugh!

Finally some godsend:

"I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations." -Psalm 89:1


I ran across this verse today and found it very appropriate for my recent family adventures. It is a declaration of praise to the Lord. A praise so wonderful that we will shout out His faithfulness to all the world. We will pass the torch of faith to the next generation so that they might know of the Lord's great faithfulness. For me, this verse really spoke of the importance of family...without family, there would be no starting point to share and pass on our faith. Family is such a wonderful blessing and they have a special place in my heart and always will. Thanks to my family and extended family for passing the torch so that we might know of the Lord's great faithfulness and can sing of His great love forever! Praise the Lord!

:)

1 comment:

  1. Court, well put!!! Our family reunions are always a blessing and reminder of how God has blessed our family with the strong bond of faith. And like you said, it's cool to think that we're also all out there trying to serve others in our own capacities that God has given us to spread that faith throughout!!! Wooo Hooo!!! I also had to chuckle when I read about you teaching Elizabeth to drive a jet ski. I can only imagine what a hoot it was :). Blessings and love to you dear cousin!

    ReplyDelete