Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Got Godsend?

I realize that I have not written any godsend in my blog in a while. It is not because I have not had any--I assure you I have. Sadly, I honestly have no worthy excuse as to why I have not posted any godsend lately. But I plan to fix that right now--I will be providing you with some much anticipated godsend...and maybe a few giggles too...

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus..." -Philippians 2:4-5

This verse has been on my heart recently for one big reason: I want to experience a change of attitude so that I can be more like Christ in my daily living. This verse has pretty much consumed my every thought lately as I have been in a transitional phase from being a college student to being a college student home for the summer. I can honestly say that a month ago I was not at all looking forward to summer. I already knew that it was not going to be exciting...I used to dream of summer when I was a child and the many fun days it would bring. However, once you get to be college age, summer is no longer exciting...instead of swimming, vacations, and sleeping in, I now have a job, class, and studying to look forward to. I don't know about you, but nothing about that sounds exciting, thus I was in a crabby mood and was not at all looking forward to summer.

Then this passage from Philippians happened to pop out at me and I decided to make a pact with myself to change my current attitude--to abolish the negativity. Normally when I make up my mind to do something to change myself, I rarely succeed...however, this challenge of mine has been different. It has become more than just a change of heart and attitude; it has become a change in my daily life. Instead of waking up with just enough time to spare to make it to work on time, I now wake up early thanking God for another day--pleased to be alive and to have a chance to bring Him glory. Instead of complaining in my head about all the things that I have to accomplish during the day, I pray for strength, guidance, patience, and passion to help get me through the day (it is amazing what beginning your day with worship music and prayer...and some coffee...can do for your day!) I have even learned to take on a positive attitude at work. My job seems to be one of little significance, yet I have seen the impact that I can have on my fellow employees with my attitude and smile alone...I have also discovered that as meaningless as my job might seem, I can glorify God through it. So, I devote all that I do to Him each and every day. It is just amazing how having a Christ-like attitude can completely turn your life around...it is just so incredibly awesome! That is why I am completely convinced that this is going to be the best summer ever, not because of what I accomplish, but by what God will accomplish in me--what He will teach me, and how He will help me to grow in my faith. It will be the best summer ever, because when it is over, I will not be the same person that I was when it started...I will be changed for the better.

I challenge you to try to incorporate this same 'Christ-like' attitude into your everyday. It will not be easy, and you won't succeed everyday. Yet, I still encourage you to try and I know for sure that you will see a change in your heart.


The other night, my family was driving home at night in the middle of a thunderstorm. As I stared through my window and watched the lightning, I was overcome with a sense of peace and awe at the omnipotent power of God, as well as the hope that He provides. Here is a poem that I wrote about that experience:

Opus

The whites of her eyes stare back at her through panes of glass
as she peers aimlessly at boundless skies of ebony.
It gazes back at her
emanating a deepest emptiness.
With a radiant flare the sky comes alive
and it serenades her.
Her heart fleets
as her pulse begins to quicken.
With each recurrent blaze of the sky her soul finds rhythm
and she joins in its opus.
A delicate grin sweeps across her coral cheeks
as an unexplainable peace overwhelms her.
Her heartbeat subsides
and her pulse slows.
Her eyes no longer stare aimlessly
and the sky no longer appears empty.
Her soul continues on singing the tune
as the sky flickers—illuminating the distance.


Now that I have been serious...I thought I would share some godsend that will provide you simultaneously with a giggle...

A few weeks back, I was driving through town on my way back to school. I was very excited because one of my favorite songs, 'Hosanna' by Hillsong, was on the radio...so, I cranked up the volume as high as it went (it is not unusual for me to do this and sing at the top of my lungs when driving)... So, I pulled up to a red stop light waiting for my turn to go. Suddenly a minivan pulled up next to me at the stop light with the driver's side window down. Inside was a 'soccer mom' and some kids in the backseat. The only problem with me jamming to my music in town is that I forget that other people can hear me...especially if their window is rolled down. Anyways, I look over at the 'soccer mom' and she smiles at me, gives me a thumbs up, and mouths the words, "good song," at me... Turning red with embarrassment, I nicely smiled back, gave her a return thumbs up...then turned down the radio and sped off quickly just as the light turned green. Yes, I was a bit embarrassed, but I also smiled inside because I was excited that I knew of one more family who was sharing the love of Christ with their children...it is amazing to see God working through the community even if it is just through a song.

Peace!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment