Friday, June 11, 2010

Don't Cry Over Spilled Coffee

5:00 in the morning is early...
It is too early for any normal living, breathing creature to be awake let alone stirring--it is a commonly known rule of life. Yet, I was up at the early hour of 5:00 despite this rule. I was up because I went to breakfast with my dad. What a joyous experience that was. It was totally worth getting up at an early hour. And it all worked out because my tummy was full of deliciousness and I then got to go back to bed for another hour before going to work.

On my way to work I had one of my typical "Courtney mishaps." I thought I would hold my thermos full of coffee in my lap today rather than in the cup holder due to the closer proximity to my mouth... Well, I'm sure you can guess what happens next, but I'll tell you anyways. Yes, I drive a bit like a race car driver (I get where I'm going okay?)..and I rounded the corner too quickly apparently because for whatever reason, when I made that corner this morning my coffee spilled over onto my beautiful pink scrub pants. I was a bit upset...not so much about my pants...I was more upset about the fact that I drive the same every day and my coffee doesn't spill when it's in the cup holder, but the one day I hold it in my lap it spills...go figure. Then I had to walk into work and explain to my fellow employees that the wet stain on the crotch of my pants was not a result of me tinkling my pants, but that it was in fact coffee. And to say the least, this whole coffee-spilling-in-my-lap didn't help the fact that I did in fact have to tinkle quite badly...

But, by the end of the day, I ended up having 3 different life-altering revelations:
1. Wearing scrubs to work is the equivalent of "pajama day" every day.
2. Excessive amounts of coffee do horrific things to the digestive system.
3. New razor blades equal massive leg trauma.

Also this week, I began my summer college class. I was shocked to find out that I am one of four students in the whole class who is under the age of 23. This was a new concept for me...for once in my life as a student, I was part of the minority in the classroom.

We have now come to the wonderful time of godsend in which I will share a bible passage with you and try to connect it to my life somehow...

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." -2 Corinthians 4:17-18


Even though the mishaps and troubles I experienced today were small, this passage helps me to see that even through experiencing small troubles, we are achieving an eternal glory. Instead of me letting those mishaps bring me down, I fixed my eyes on something greater--I fixed them on God. I let Him use those small instances to make me a stronger person, to help me learn to laugh at myself, and to help me realize that the only true power is in God. I couldn't even get to work in 5 minutes if He hadn't provided me with the opportunity to own a car...I couldn't even have poured my coffee in my mug this morning if I hadn't been blessed with the gift of arms. We take these things for granted each and every day, when instead we should be thanking Him for what we do have. We spend so much time grumbling about everything wrong in our lives rather than praising everything going right. Even if things suck now, no matter how big or small, He will use it somehow. The temporary pain is only temporary. Only God knows how He will use events unseen to us to bring Him eternal glory. That is something to really praise!...It almost makes me want to see how He will use tomorrow's mishaps to help shape me to be who He wants me to be...

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment