Friday, September 24, 2010

The Start of Something New

As I sit here and write this long-awaited post, I am imagining myself typing this while laying on the grassy green lawn 2 floors below me, basking in the sunshine, and hearing the birds singing melodies to each other. The cool fall breeze is gently making my hair wave to students walking on the sidewalk nearby. Ideally, this is where I’d like to be.
In all actuality, I am sitting in my dorm room, surrounded by fluorescent lighting and the never ceasing hum of the ceiling fan.
Welcome to reality.
Welcome to college.

College really isn’t so horrible though. I have in fact had many-a-liberating experiences thus far this year. Let me fill you in, since I know you are dying to hear.

On only my second day here at school this year, two girlfriends and I decided that we wanted to get some good use out of our bikes, so we took a bike ride. Not just any bike ride though. We took an hour and a half long bike ride around the good old town of Sterling.
Let’s just pause for a moment and analyze this situation, okay?
We rode bikes for an hour and a half.
There are people who ride bikes across the state, or across the country at that.
And, I am sad to admit that I only rode for an hour and a half and yelped in pain when I wiped after going to the bathroom the next day.
Bikes equal pain.
Kudos to the cross-country bikers.
I don’t know how they do it.

The second experience happened midway through our bike ride. We took a break to rest our tired legs when I happened to see a little toad hopping across the sidewalk. Of course I couldn’t resist holding such a cute creature, so I chased it until I had captured it and held it captive between clasped hands. It was then that I had the brilliant idea of showing one of the girls my hostage. As I held the little toad by his ribcage, he suddenly decided to take a pee all over my hand.
I was not happy.
I continued to hold my captive while freaking out about the fact that my hands were soiled with toad pee.
It was then, that the toad decided to pee again. This time it was projectile pee. And it still got all over me.
Before I finally put my hostage back where I had found him, he peed on my fingers a total of three times. I sadly let my friend go, and complained the whole rest of the bike ride about how my hands were sticky. I guess that’s what I get for trying to pick on people.

My third experience is one in which I am quite proud of. I have left a legacy on this campus already. I decided that I would be really cool (and also really liberated) if I were to dye a chunk of my hair blonde and then put a color strip in it.
So I did.
I dyed a portion of my hair teal.
I thought I was so cool.
Unknowingly, I later found out that just one day before I had this brilliant idea, some girls had put magenta (they said it was pink, but I still think it was magenta) in their hair. These same girls saw my teal the next day and went crazy. They loved it.
So, that night I had a hair dyeing party in my 8 x 8 bathroom with 10 lovely ladies in which I gave them strips of teal in their hair to offset the magenta.
Yes, I was cool.

My final experience occurred with the same group of girls who I dyed hair with. All I’m going to say is this. Use your imagination:
6 girls.
The Arkansas River.
2:30 in the morning.
No clothes.
Liberating? I think so.

Well, I don’t have a ton as far as godsend goes, but I do want to mention how excited I am about this year and the ways that God is working on this campus. This year feels so different. There is such an incredible vibe around here and I love it. God has blessed me with some great friends who aren’t afraid to go deep in their faith, and I can’t wait to see where God is going to take them this year, with me as a mentor helping them along the way. My biggest prayer thus far has been to be able to experience God’s love so much each day that it overwhelms me. That I can experience God’s love so much that it spills on to those around me. That people who don’t even know that I am a Christian will know just by the way that I live my life and the way that I show love—the way that I spill love on to those around me. I encourage you to pray for this in your own life. If you do, life will never be the same. Believe me.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment