Friday, April 2, 2010

Having My Cake, and Eating it Too!


So, I know I haven't written in a while...but, nothing too interesting has been happening in my life. However, today was different...today was interesting...and, today just happened to be the anniversary of my birth!

I didn't think that today would be any different than any other day...even though it was my birthday. Boy, was I wrong! The thought of making a 6 hour long journey to the great state of Texas didn't really seem like the greatest way to celebrate such a wonderful day...but, it turned out to be one of the greatest birthdays ever...and this is why:

1. I got to spend 6 hours relaxing (a.k.a. sleeping) and chilling in close proximity with the people that I love the most--my family.

2. I got to spend quality time with my aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins.

3. I officially have the greatest uncles ever because they threw me a surprise Hannah Montana birthday party! (complete with Hannah Montana napkins, plates, and yes, tattoos!) They sure know their 19 year old niece quite well! ;)

4. I ate HOME COOKED food...until my stomach hurt!

5. I got to laugh harder than I have laughed in a very long time.

I have realized a lot of things today as a result of all of this. First, I realized that there is so much more to birthdays than presents. As I looked at the pile of birthday cards on the table, I had to chuckle because I am no longer 5 anymore. I no longer get piles of presents wrapped in prismatic wrapping paper that are hiding the latest Barbie dolls...no, now I get birthday cards...gone are the days of presents. But, that's okay. I have realized through the years that birthdays really aren't about presents at all. Actually, even when I used to receive presents when I was younger, I was initially very happy...the same goes for Christmas. But, once the opening of presents is over, it seems like I am always left feeling empty...wanting more. It's the same with our relationship with God. There are so many people that spend their lives chasing after their dreams and pursuing success...yet, once they achieve those goals, they set new ones--everything they seem to accomplish is never enough. That is because they are pursuing their goals and not the goals of God. Without truly living in relationship with God, these people will never feel full...they will always be seeking and pursing more.

Likewise, birthdays are not about presents. They are about celebrating the gift of life that God has so graciously blessed us with. Birthdays are about being surrounded by those we love and being in relationship with them. Birthdays are not about the presents at all.

There is one present though, that we have all received, and ironically...I received a reminder of that present on my birthday. Today is Good Friday. On this day when the one and only Holy Life was given to save us from our sins, mine began. How beautiful! Christ gave His life for me that I might live! Today has been glorious! I am so so blessed!

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." -Psalm 118:24

Today I had my cake and ate it too.
Today marked the first day of the last year of me being a teenager.
Today marked the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun...and I'm choosing to enjoy that trip, because Christ gave it all that I might live!

:)

1 comment:

  1. Well said, girl! What a great lesson today. I loved how you phrased it--once we achieve one goal we set another one. Nothing is ever good enough. Amen! I spend way too much time and energy trying to "achieve" and not enough time just trusting God and walking in His directed path. Thanks for the great post! :)

    ReplyDelete