Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Adventures in...Cooking?!

Adventures in cooking you say?
Yes, that's right. Today I had quite a cooking adventure.
And, no, I know that you are wondering, but I did NOT make muffins...I in fact, made grilled cheese!

Now, let's just say that I am by no means a Martha Stewart, a Paula Deen, or a Rachael Ray...my idea of cooking is macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese, and on a really good day, sometimes I'll make homemade pizza (with a pre-made crust of course!)
But, today I was feeling like a grilled cheese...but...I was also feeling like adding my own flair to this grilled cheese of mine...this is what happened:

The only bread available at my disposal happened to be the most severely freezer-burnt loaf of bread that I have ever witnessed viewing in my life...let alone eating. So...I picked two pieces of bread from the middle of the loaf that seemed to be a little more pliable than the rest... I then sprayed them lightly with cooking spray (much better than using butter...let me tell you...) and placed them on the griddle. I then placed my cheese on the bread and began to wait. I should probably add that I was trying to be the next Rachael Ray and get creative with my food so I decided that I would use a slice of Gouda rather than the pre-packaged processed yellow American cheese that we call cheese. So about two minutes into cooking my grilled cheese (and after flipping it several times)...I realized that the bread was looking quite tan, but my "slice" of Gouda was sliced a little to thick to ever melt before my bread would burn...thus trying to be like Rachael Ray was an epic failure.

I then quickly removed my chunk of cheese from the bread and disposed of it and then I placed one of those pre-packaged processed yellow American cheese slices (which are just the right thickness I might add) on my bread...trying desperately to save the bread. Success! I made a grilled cheese...

What did I learn from this experience you ask?
First, freezer-burnt bread makes the best grilled cheese ever...seriously.
Second, there really is nothing wrong with that pre-packaged processed yellow American cheese...use it...it will make your life easy.
Third, if you are anything like me, I've decided it might be best to just avoid trying to be the world's next "cake boss" or anything like that and just stick to the norm and prepare food according to it's age old recipe...the norm is somewhat safe for me...

My godsend moment from this experience you ask...well I have one...I do. And here it is:
"I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." -Psalm 139:14
This verse really stood out to me today and it tied directly to my cooking disaster...although I can make fun of myself for having no talent in cooking whatsoever, God still loves me because I am who He created me to be. In His eyes I am fearfully and wonderfully made. He loves me no matter if I can cook or not. This is who He created me to be...and the only thing that I can do is laugh at this creation that He has created me to be, and know that He will love this creation no matter what...THAT is something to praise!

:)

1 comment:

  1. YEE HAW!!! You are blogging!!! :) :) The world is now a better place. It will have more of your creativity and witticism (sp?). I'm SO proud of you and can't wait to read every one of your entries!

    P.S. Your God moment ministered to my heart today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete